Monday, June 26, 2006

Adventures in an '82

Went down to Campo this weekend with my newly acquired 1982 van. It's a conversion so it's pretty comfortable with a bed and louvered blinds. I only had two days to prepare it for it's maiden voyage but I brought all my tools just in case. It made it the 180 miles to Campo without a problem and worked fine while I was there except for a leaky fuel pump. Having a van at the Campo border is a wonderful thing. I had more room than I knew what to do with. It would have been nice if the AC worked but that is probably asking too much out of a $1200 van.
I left early Sunday morning, hoping to get home in time to change the fuel pump and replace the spark plugs and wires. About 30 miles outside LA I stopped for gas and the engine died... Fuel pump went out. Lucky for me I was about a quarter miles away from a Pepboys and was able to buy an electric fuel pump. Took me about 2 hours but I got her running again and made it home about 5:30.

I will spend this week getting her ready for our next trip down this weekend. Should probably invest in a AAA membership :)

No comments:

Post a Comment